What's in a Name?

The original “Seedhouse,” north of Steamboat Springs and at the edge of the Mount Zirkel Wilderness, was built in 1912 by the Forest Service to store seeds from nearby spruce and pine cones. The operation proved too costly and the building was repurposed - over the years as a ranger station and summer camp building. Arguably more famous - and recognized by the State Historical Society - the Seedhouse Campground Outhouse is a four-seater log outhouse that is the last standing structure in the Routt National Forest built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.