New

What’s in a Name?

The Hahns Peak Fire Lookout Tower wasbuilt in 1912, reconstructed in 1942, and last used in the summer of 1946. The foundation was constructed of broken rocks laid into more than 2,000 lbs. of cement that was hauled to the 10,839 ft. summit by packhorses. The original watchers, often teachers who spent their summers working in the tower, were supplied with a cook stove, a mine-set telephone, detailed maps, and an Osborne Fire Finder: Asighting device that uses a flat surface and angled measurements to help lookouts more precisely fix the location of a new fire. The fire lookout lasted only until the 1950's because of frequent lightning strikes. It has since been restored and is now a state historical site.